The SARS Covid-19 pandemics are far from over, even though a great part of the European population already got its vaccine. Anyway, you can’t let that keep you from visiting Portugal and Lisbon, in order to avoid setbacks, make sure you follow every COVID requirements in Portugal before your departure.
Travelling to Lisbon is safe. Portugal is up to speed in the vaccination schedule and, as of November 30th, Portugal had fully vaccinated 86,6% of its entire population. That means 8.92 million people had received at least 2 dosages of the vaccine.
That said, Portugal had an increase in Covid-related cases, with the 7-day average growing 3 times in one month. Relatively, this is not something that should worry you, especially when compared with the spikes in cases at the beginning of the year.
The following COVID requirements in Portugal and Lisbon applies to European and UK residents. The last update was on November 30th.
The COVID requirements in Portugal and Lisbon
Portugal has allowed both essential and non-essential travellers to the mainland, Azores and Madeira. The entry requirements are the same if you’re travelling by air, land, or sea.
Requirements for tourists in Portugal during COVID19 pandemics
When arriving in Lisbon or any other city in Portugal, you’ll need to provide the following:
- A negative COVID-19 test. The possession of a digital vaccination certificate is not enough, you’ll need a test. This requirement applies regardless of the point of origin of your flight or your nationality. Portuguese authorities will accept:
- RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) sampled 72h before boarding or Rapid Antigen Test samples 48h before boarding.
- Children under 12 years old don’t need to present a test.
- A valid EU Digital COVID Certificate, or a valid recovery certificate issued by a third country: Albania, Andorra, Switzerland, Faroe Islands, Israel, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Morocco, Monaco, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Turkey, United Kingdom, Ukraine, The Vatican.
- Individual Passenger Locator Card, filled before departure to Portugal or onboard at the aeroplane.
- You can find the card at Portugalcleanandsafe.pt.
COVID measures in Portugal
As for the public health measure in Lisbon and Portugal, you may expect the following:
- Mandatory use of masks in closed spaces and public transportation.
- Mandatory EU COVID Digital Certificate, proof of vaccination attesting the complete vaccination schedule, or a negative COVID test to access:
- Restaurants and bars
- Hotels, accommodations, and other tourist establishments
- Events, whether it’s an event with marked places or not
To ensure tourism is safe in Portugal and Lisbon, the authorities have implemented the Clean & Safe seal in accommodations and other hospitality establishments. Look for that seal while visiting Lisbon to be sure the place follows every safety and health measure.